Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer wreath : Lesson 2

Hi everyone! I'm going to teach you how to make sunflower for the wreath in today's lesson.
Here is the sunflower. ↓↓↓


I'll attach two sunflowers to the wreath.
First, let's learn crochet abbreviations! It's important to read directions. 
  • ch ---------- chain
  • st/sts ------- stitch/stiches
  • sl st -------- slip stitch
  • sk ---------- skip
  • sp ---------- space
  • rep --------- repeat
  • beg -------- beginning
  • blp -------- back loop
  • flp --------- front loop
  • sc --------- single crochet
  • dc -------- double crochet
 
I started learning crochet since I moved to the U.S from Japan, so I learned crochet with American directions. Learning abbreviations was not hard, but I still have a hard time to understand directions exactly. By the way, I'm not confident to teach crochet in Japanese, because I don't know Japanese names of each stitches.
Most directions use common abbreviations, but describing hook movements is a little different in each book. I'd like to talk about such descriptions in this blog sometime.

All right, I'll write a direction for the sunflower from here with pictures. 

[How to make sunflower]

Use brown colored yarn.
Rnd 1: Ch 3 (count as 1 dc), 1dc 11 times in the third ch from the hook, join with a sl st in top of beg-ch-3, turn. 12 dc made



Rnd 2: Ch 3 (count as 1 dc), 1dc in first dc (which is ch 3 is standing in), 2dc in each dc around, join with a sl st in top of beg-ch-3, fasten off. 24 dc made


Petals
Attach yellow colored yarn with sl st at any 1 dc of rnd 2.


Rnd 1: *Ch 10, sk 3 ch sts, sl st in next 7ch sts on reverse of the ch, sl st in next dc of rnd 2, rep from *around, join with a sl st in first ch.





Rnd 2: *sc in next 7 sts (blp only), [sc, ch 3] in the corner sp, sc in next 7 sts (blp only), rep from * around, join with sl st in first sc.




1 petal is made.

Now, I've made two sunflowers! I'm going to use the flowers like this.


Next lesson will be last lesson for the wreath. I'll complete the wreath decorations, and you'll see my completed summer wreath!
See you next time.♪

If you have any questions for this lesson, please feel free to leave comment. I'm happy to answer you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment