Sunday, October 17, 2010

Witch Hat

I have made the witch hat for this Halloween as my costume! I found a cute free witch hat pattern on Red Heart.com, but the patter is for child, so I needed to figure out my size as usual. 
I tried a few ways to make a lager hat than the pattern showed, and finally found easiest way. The easiest way is to crochet with two strands of yarn and a thicker crochet hook. I wanted to use my left-over yarn from making the spider for pumpkin hat that I introduced in this blog before, so I used 6mm (USA size 10/J) crochet hook. The black yarn generally recommends using 5mm (USA size 8/H). This way really worked for my size! The hat was just right for me.

My idea this time was to add purple flowers! The pattern says to change the yarn color from black to purple to make ribbon around the hat, and crochet same as hat. However, I used black yarn on purple ribbon part. I made thirteen purple flowers, and attached to the hat instead. I also made the brim of the hat longer than the pattern. I just worked one more row.
You can adjust length of the gray hair as you like. Since my hair got really long, I made the gray hair same length as my hair. I would tie up my hair when I would wear the hat, but I noticed that looks good if I wear the hat with my long hair.


Yarn that I used for the witch hat:
  •  I Love This Yarn Sport Weight: Black (Hat)
  • I Love This Yarn Sport Weight: Ivory (Hair)
  • I Love This Wool Super Soft: Ple Gray (Hair)
  • Patons Grace: Amethyst (Flower)

Happy Halloween! 

No comments:

Post a Comment